- Ph. D. Personality and Social Psychology (2007), University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- B. A. Psychology with Honors (2001), Magna Cum Laude, Winona State University, Winona, MN
Academic and Professional Experience
- Associate Professor of Psychology, Iowa State University (2013 - Present)
- Assistant Professor of Psychology, Iowa State University (2007 - 2013)
- Graduate Assistant, Department of Psychology, University of Iowa (2001 - 2007)
- Krizan, Z., & Johar, O. (in press). Narcissitic rage revisited. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Zell, E., Krizan, Z., & Teeter, S. R. (in press). Evlauating gender similarities and differences using metasynthesis. American Psychologist.
- Lannin, D.G., Guyll, M., Krizan, Z., Madon, S., & Cornish, M. (2014). When are grandiose and vulnerable narcissists least helpful? Personality and Individual Differences.
- Zell, E., & Krizan, Z. (2014).Do people have insight into their abilities? Perspectives on Psychological Science.
- Krizan, Z., & Gibbons, F.X. (Eds.)(2014). Communal functions of social comparison. Cambridge University Press.
- Krizan, Z., & Sweeny, K. (2013). Causes and consequences of expectation trajectories: "High" on optimism in a public referendum. Psychological Science.
- Sweeny, K. & Krizan, Z. (2013). Sobering up: A quantitative review of temporal declines in optimism. Psychological Bulletin.
- Bruchmann, K., Suls, J., Lee, S., Rose, J. P., Krizan, Z., & Windschitl, P. D. (2013). Is the non-selective superiority bias indestructible? Limits and behavioral implications. Social Psychological and Personality Science.
- Stieger, S., & Krizan, Z. (in press). Cultural influences on number preferences: Christmas and grading system. Psychological Record.
- Krizan, Z., & Johar, O. (2012).Envy divides the two faces of narcissism. Journal of Personality, 80, 1415-1451.
- Krizan, Z., & Bushman, B. (2011). Better than my loved ones: Social comparison tendencies among narcissists. Personality and Individual Differences, 50, 212-216.
- Suls, J., Chambers, J.R., Krizan, Z., Mortensen, C. R., Koestner, B., & Bruchmann, K. (2010). Testing four explanations for the better/worse than average effect: Single- and multi-item entities as comparison targets and referents. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 113, 62-72.
- Krizan, Z. (2010). Synthesizer 1.0: A varying coefficient meta-analytic tool. Behavior Research Methods, 42, 863-870.
- Krizan, Z., Miller, J. C., & Johar, O. (2010). Wishful thinking in the 2008 U.S. Presidential election. Psychological Science, 21, 140-146.
- Windschitl, P.D., Smith, A. R., Rose, J. P., & Krizan. Z. (2010). The desirability bias in predictions: Going optimistic without leaving realism. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 111, 33-47.
- Krizan, Z., & Windschitl, P.D. (2009). Wishful thinking about the future: Does desire bias optimism? Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 3, 1-17
- Krian, Z., & Suls, J. (2009). Implicit self-esteem in the context of trait models of personality. Personality and Individual Differences, 46 , 659-663.
- Krizan, Z. (2008). What is implicit about implicit self-esteem? Journal of Research in Personality, 42,1635-1640.
- Krizan, Z., & Suls, J. (2008). Losing Sight of Oneself in the Above-Average Effect: When Egocentrism, Focalism and Group Diffuseness Collide. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology: 44, 929-942.
- Windschitl, P.D., Conybeare, D., & Krizan, Z. (2008). Direct-comparison judgements: When and why above-and-below average effects reverse. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 137, 182-200.
- Krizan, Z., & Suls, J. (2008). Are implicit and explicit measures of self-esteem related? A meta-analysis for the Name-Letter Test. Personality and Individual Differences, 44, 521-531.
- Krizan, Z., & Windschitl, P.D. (2007). Team allegiance can lead to both optimistic and pessimistic predictions. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 43, 327-333.
- Krizan, Z., & Windschitl, P.D. (2007). The influence of outcome desirability on optimism. Psychological Bulletin, 133, 95-121.
- Krizan, Z., & Baron, R.S. (2007). Group polarization and choice-dilemmas: How important is self-categorization? European Journal of Social Psychology, 37, 191-201.
- Windschitl, P.D., & Krizan, Z. (2005). Contingent approaches to making likelihood judgements about polychotomous cases: The influence of task factors. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 18, 281-303.
- Suls, J., & Krizan, Z. (2005). On the relationships between explicit and implicit global self-esteem and personality. In Marsh, H., Craven, R.G., & McInerney, D.M. (Eds.), The New Frontiers of Self Research (Vol. 2). Greenwich, CT: Information Age
Awards and Honors
- Ealy Achievement in Teaching Award (2011). College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University.
- Ealy Career Excellence in Research Award (2010). Department of Psychology, Iowa State University.
- LAS Small Grant [$750, $1250, $1000](2007, 2008, 2009). College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Small Grant, Iowa State University.
- The Kenneth Spence Award (2007). Department of Psychology, University of Iowa.
- The Don Lewis Dissertation Year Award for Experimental Psychology (2006). Department of Psychology, University of Iowa
- Summer Dissertation Fellowship [$3,000](2006). Graduate College, University of Iowa
- Editorial Board:
Journal of Personality and Social Psychology (2009 - present);
Journal of Research in Personality (2009 - present);
Personality and Social Psychology Review (2013 - present)
National Science Foundation (USA)
- Advanced Personality Psychology
- Introduction to Social Psychology
- Social Psychology Graduate Seminar
- Personality Psychology(Syllabus)
Israeli Science Foundation
Journal of Personality and Social Psychology (ASC; GPIR; PPID)
Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin
Social Psychological and Personality Science
Journal of Experimental Social Psychology
Journal of Personality
Journal of Research in Personality
Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes
Psychonomic Bulletin and Review
Journal of Personality Assessment
Self and Identity
Personality and Individual Differences
Basic and Applied Social Psychology
Cognition and Emotion
Journal of Happiness Studies
Journal of Individual Differences
Medical Decision Making